A pagoda shaped small temple devoted to Lord Vishnu is the main shrine of Muktinath. The outer courtyard has 108 bull faces through which water is poured. Even it is about freezing temperature Hindus devotee take bath their ritual bath. This is also one of the places where we can find Saligram (Ammonite fossil, black stone when broken expose the fossilized leftovers of primitive Ammonites formed about 130 million years ago).
Shaligrama: Another attraction for the pilgrimage is the River kali Gandaki from where one can collect fossils of the Jurassic park age. One may find a fossil within a few minutes or it may take hours and without success. However, these fossils can be had from the local people at a price. Shaligram, a black stone fossil if found, is considered sacred and is kept in pooja (prayer) room in the house. It is supposed to be symbol of Lord Vishnu
Sri Shaligram is majorly black stone (with spiritual value) found in Sacred River Gandaki and Muktinath in Nepal. Though they are found black colour , still devotees do puja at home and temple . Very rarely they are found in other colors like blue,green ,white and others are also found.
Rare vishnu (Narayan shaligram – Shankh chakra gadha padma)..
The story of Shaligram can be found in major hindu scripture like Padma puran,vishnu puran, Agni puran,Devi bhagvad gita etc
Charactertics of Shaligram
- 1) Every shaligram do not have similar shape and size. The form of lord vishnu are uncountables. So Lord vishnu is known as Anantha (Incountables or Many).
- 2) Shaligram can be round, many are smooth, Many are emblem with Chakra (Wheels), Some are big whereas some are small,Some have few small holes, Some are oval,flats. We should always worship good shape,not broken,smooth and good shaligrams .
- 3) Worship of shaligram provide four values. 1) Dharma (Religious values), 2) Artha (Wealth), 3) Kam (Working value), 4) Moksha(Salvation).
- 4) Those who worship in their home and temples are always protected by lord vishnu. Worshipper of shaligram are always blessed by Mother laxmi (hindu goddess of prosperity and wealth). To make Laxmi narayan happy every one should keep shaligram in their home or temples.
- 5) Worshipper of shaligram donot get fear from ghost,evil,demons or Un-usuals fears. So devotees of shaligram (vishnu bhagwan) are always protected by Demons,evils.
- 6) Worshipper of shaligram are blessed with long life,Prosperity and happiness.
- 7) While worshipping shaligram every days. The tulsi leaf must be offered to shaligram (vishnu). So where shaligram are installed ,there must be tulsi leaf also. Because tulsi is favourite leaf or flower of lord vishnu. So while worshipping shaligram,tulsi are offered to make him easily happy.
- 8) We can worship any types of shaligram in our home but we should not worship broken shaligram. Both shaligram who have wheels or without wheels(chakra) are equally important. So we can worship any one of them.
Trekking and Meditation to Muktinath Lodge, 13 Days
Muktinath at 3750 meters (12,300 feet) at the Annapurna Circuit is an important pilgrimage and trekking site located at the north-side of the main Himalayan-range with a panoramic view and exuberant landscape combined with a dry and unique micro-climate. Region is surrounded by two rivers – the Marshyangadi in the East and the Kali Gandaki in the West. The Kali Gandaki is famous to be the world’s deepest gorge (5600m) and is the only place, where the ‘shaligram shilas’ (special fossils) can be found.
Muktinath is popular amongst the hindu and Buddhist devotees . It has set a great example where god is one and devotees pray with there own Aastha and spiritual feeling – it is here two religions can share the same holy spot with mutual respect and support, where all the elements are represented, not only earth, air and holy water, but also fire. We even find here a spot where natural gas is burning, called ‘The Eternal Fire’. For this and other reasons unseen, yogis from both religions do their meditations at Muktinath.
Since ages the caretakers of Muktinath/Chumig Gyatsa are the Tibetan Buddhist nuns of the Chumig Gyatsa-nunnery, which have the so called Gye Lhaki Dung as their abbot. His family is popularly known as the ‘Lama-Domar-Family’, an unbroken lineage of Tibetan Buddhist Nyingma-lamas from the Muktinath Valley, which always had Chumig Gyatsa as their religious seat for centuries. The current abbot of Chumig Gyatsa is Muktinath-Lama Wangyal. For Tibetan Buddhists, Muktinath/Chumig Gyatsa is a place of ‘Dakinis’, which are Buddhist goddesses, popularly also known as ‘Sky Dancers’. By that reason, Chumig Gyatsa is for Tibetan Buddhists one of the 24 tantric power-places of great importance. Padmasambhava, as well as some of the 84 Indian Mahasiddhas, blessed it with their visits. The famous Tibetan yogi Shabkar Rinpoche also visted Muktinath in 1818 and stayed for several days to ‘connect hinself to the place’, as his autobiography tells us. The Padmasambhava Statue together with the Chenrezig statue in Narsingh Gompa can be considered as the most holy objects of the region. This is only a very brief enumeration. More information on the Buddhist backgrounds – for instance on the natural fire – can be found in the pilgrimage-guide “The Clear Mirror”, written by the late abbot of Chumig Gyatsa, Muktinath-Lama Jampal Rabgyé Rinpoche.
Shaligrams and Tantric combination is only found here .
|1 .||Kathmandu to Pokhara||Arrive Kathmandu Airport by Morning flight and connect flight to Pokhara and check inn at the hotel relax -freshen-up, start for local sight seeing, visit Devi's falls, Mahendra gufa, Vindhya Vasani Temple, evening free at Phewa Lake, night halt at Pokhara.|
|2 .||Pokhara to Muktinath by Helicopter (chartered flight 5 passengers only)||Early morning Fly to Muktinath by Helicopter, Darshan (50min stopover) and fly back to Pokhara. Arrival Pokhara & Transfer to hotel. Evening free for leisure, night halt at Pokhara.|
|3 .||Pokhara to Kathmandu (EN route Manokamna Devi Temple)||Morning depart to Katmandu enroute visit Manakamanadevi Temple - one can enjoy South Asia's biggest cable car ride, evening arrival at Katmandu Overnight stay at Kathmandu|
|4 .||Kathmandu Departure||Breakfast Check out followed by Pashupatinath and Jalnarayan Darshan Drop at the airport.|
- Meals Breakfast and dinner
- Kathmandu - Pokhara by domestic flight.
- Pokhara / Muktinath / Pokhara by Helicopter.
- Half day Pokhara Sightseeing by exclusive Non A/C car of Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Arrival & Departure Transfer.
- Puja /Tarpan, portage , tips , meals , laundry , telephone , extras not mentioned as inclusions
|Cost of the tour considering Minimum 5-6 travelling passengers|
Indian nationals INR35000 per person
Foreign passport US$1050 per person